Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 2 hours 30 minutes | Serves: 12
3 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon mustard powder
½ teaspoon Chinese five spice
Salt, to taste
2 racks St. Louis–style spareribs, each 3–3 ½ pounds, membrane removed
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon peeled, grated ginger
3garlic cloves, minced
½ cup apricot preserves
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1. Prepare the Traeger grill for indirect and direct cooking over low heat (250 degrees F/ 120 degrees C to 300 degrees F/ 150 degrees C).
2. Mix the spice rub components and ⅓ teaspoon of salt.
3. Coat the racks with the rub, concentrating more on the meaty side. Before grilling, let the racks rest at room temperature for 45 minutes.
4. Cover the grill’s hood, and grill the racks with the bone side down for 2 hours with the hood closed.
5. In the meantime, preheat the oil in a good saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir often for a minute after adding the ginger and the minced garlic, until fragrant and just beginning to brown. Add ¾ teaspoon salt, the preserves, and the soy sauce. Cooking to a boil and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes, with occasional stirring. Remove from the heat.
6. The racks should be taken off the grill and both sides should be coated with three-fourths of the apricot-soy glaze. Each rack should be covered in sturdy aluminum foil. Reflip the foil-wrapped racks to the grill and cook for a further 1½ hours over indirect low heat with the hood closed, or until the meat is readily torn when you raise each rack and has shrunk back from the ends of most of the bones by at least ¼ inch or more in numerous places.
7. Remove the racks from the hot grill, and allow them to cool until you can handle it. Discard the rendered fat and foil after carefully removing the racks from the foil. Return to the grill over direct low heat, cover it, and cook the racks for 5 minutes.
8. Let them cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: Calories 384; Total fat 23.6g; Sodium 80mg; Total Carbs 20.7g; Fiber 8.3g; Sugars 3.5g; Protein 24.6g