Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Serves: 8
3 poblano chili peppers, about 14 ounces total
1 ½ teaspoons canola oil
12 ounces chorizo sausages, casings removed
3garlic cloves, minced
1 cup sliced scallions
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 can (28 ounces) chopped plum tomatoes in juice
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed
3 ½ ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
1. Prepare the Traeger grill for direct cooking over high heat (450 degrees F/ 230 degrees C to 550 degrees F/ 290 degrees C).
2. Grill the poblanos for 12 minutes with the hood closed until blackened and blistered, turning occasionally. 3. Put the poblanos in a bowl and cover with plastic sheet to trap the steam. Let stand for 10 minutes. Peel away and discard the charred skin. Cut off and discard the stems and seeds, and then chop the poblanos.
4. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over direct high heat, add the oil, and warm for 1 minute. Add the chorizo and break into small pieces using a wooden spoon. Cook them for 5 to 6 minutes until the chorizo pieces are browned, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the minced garlic, scallions, and poblanos and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cumin, the tomatoes in juice, the beans, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 12 to 16 minutes until the flavors are blended, the liquid is reduced by two-thirds, and only a small amount of liquid remains in the bottom of the skillet. Top with the cheese and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until most of the cheese is melted.
6. Make four shallow indentations in the chili-bean mixture. Crack one egg into each indentation. Continue cooking over direct high heat, with the hood closed until the egg whites are set for 5 minutes. Season the eggs with some black pepper and salt. Carefully remove the set skillet from the grill.
7. Put four tortillas in each of two foil packets. Warm the packets over direct high heat for 1 minute, turning once.
8. Serve the huevos rancheros with warm tortillas.
Per Serving: Calories 427; Total fat 18.1g; Sodium 676mg; Total Carbs 13.7g; Fiber 7.5g; Sugars 1.7g; Protein