Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 13 minutes | Serves: 4
14 ounces lean ground pork
10 ounces chorizo
½ cup panko bread crumbs
3 tablespoons minced shallot
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
4garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¾ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
½ jalapeño chili pepper, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon prepared chili powder
12 ounces green cabbage, cored and sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
4 hamburger buns, split
8 thin slices tomato
4 leaves lettuce
1. Gently combine the patty ingredients in a good bowl, then form four patties that are each about 4 inches in
diameter and 1 inch thick using damp hands (they won’t be tender if the meat is overly compacted).
2. Create a small indentation in the center of all the patties that is about 1 inch broad with your thumb. This will assist in ensuring equal cooking and stop the prepared patties from blowing up on the grill. Place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. In a suitable bowl mix the cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, sour cream, mayonnaise, salt, and chili powder. Add the cabbage and the carrot and toss to mix. If time allows, cover and let it refrigerate for 1 hour to allow the flavors to develop. Remove from the refrigerator about 20 minutes.
4. Prepare the Traeger grill for direct cooking over 350 degrees F/ 175 degrees C.
5. Rub the cut side of each bun with oil. Grill the prepared patties for 12 to 13 minutes with the hood closed until they have an internal temperature of 145 degrees F/ 60 degrees C, turning once when the prepared patties release easily from the grate without sticking.
6. Looking at the prepared patties will not be an accurate measure of whether they are done since chorizo stays pink when cooked. Toast the buns over direct heat for 1 minute.
7. Remove the prepared patties and the buns from the grill.
8. Cover the cut sides of each bun with mayonnaise. Build each burger with lettuce, a patty, and two tomato slices.
9. Toss the slaw to redistribute the prepared dressing and serve alongside the burgers.
Per Serving: Calories 347; Total fat 15.7g; Sodium 999mg; Total Carbs 11.8g; Fiber 1.1g; Sugars 7g; Protein 39.6g